6BQ6/6CU6, Intertubellar — To a Triode: 2A3로 이어지는 보이지 않는 끈
저는 잘 알려진 진공관보다는, 가끔 사람들에게 거의 알려지지 않은 진공관을 찾아보는 것을 좋아합니다.
유명한 진공관들은 이미 수많은 사람들이 연구했고, 회로도도 넘쳐납니다. 하지만 이름조차 생소한 진공관은 왠지 호기심을 더 생기게 하고 예상하지 못한 특성들을 발견하면 무척 신기하고 애써 조사하고 찾아다닌 보람을 느끼게 합니다.
우연히 만난 낯선 진공관
2016년, 어느날 여느때와 마찬가지로 진공관들을 검색하고 데이터시트를 뒤지면서 정리를 하고 있던 차에 우연히 6CU6 / 6BQ6GTB라는 진공관을 발견하게 되었습니다.
이 진공관의 데이터시트를 들여다보는 순간 눈길을 끄는 수치들이 보였습니다.
특히 다음과 같은 특성이었습니다.
6CU6 / 6BQ6GTB
Pd 17W
Plate Voltage 250V
Grid No.1 −22.5V
Plate Current 57mA
gm 5900
Rp 22kΩ
당시 제가 가지고 있던 다른 출력관들과 비교해 보았습니다.
6V6
Pd 12W
Plate Voltage 250V
Grid No.1 −12.5V
Plate Current 45mA
gm 4100
Rp 52kΩ
그리고
6L6
Pd 30W
Plate Voltage 250V
Grid No.1 −14V
Plate Current 72mA
gm 6000
Rp 22kΩ
이렇게 비교해 보니 6CU6 / 6BQ6GTB는 재미있는 위치에 있는 진공관이었습니다.
6V6보다는 강력하지만 6L6만큼 크고 무거운 관은 아니었습니다.
저는 당시 이 관을 이렇게 생각했습니다.
“6V6과 가까우면서, 조금 더 큰 출력을 낼 수 있는 진공관이 아닐까?”
그래서 몇 개를 구입했습니다.
그리고 가장 단순한 방법으로 확인해 보기로 했습니다.
6V6 싱글 앰프에 그냥 꽂아 보는 것이었습니다.
일단 꽂아 보았습니다
6BQ6GTB는 6V6과 핀 배열이 상당히 비슷했습니다.
다만 결정적인 차이가 하나 있었습니다.
플레이트가 상단 캡으로 나와 있었습니다.
그래서 상단 플레이트 캡을 전선으로 3번 핀에 연결했습니다.
지금 생각하면 꽤 단순한 실험이었지만, 당시에는 우선 소리가 궁금했습니다.
당시 남겨 둔 글을 보면 이렇게 적혀 있습니다.
“6V6과 비슷한 면이 있어 6V6 싱글 앰프에 꽂아 보았습니다. 핀번호는 같고 플레이트만 상단에 있어서 전선으로 3번 핀에 강제 연결했습니다. 6V6과 비교하면 고음이 상당히 좋은 느낌입니다.”
그때까지만 해도 저는 이 관이 앞으로 이렇게 긴 이야기를 만들어 낼 것이라고는 생각하지 못했습니다.
그저 조금 특이한 TV용 진공관 하나를 발견했다고 생각했을 뿐입니다.
그런데 시간이 지나면서 이 관을 조금 더 들여다보기 시작했습니다.
그리고 2017년에 남겨 둔 기록에서 재미있는 것을 발견했습니다.
이상한 특성값들
당시 저는 여러 진공관의 특성을 비교해 보고 있었습니다.
그 과정에서 6BQ6와 6AV5의 3극 연결 특성을 비교해 보았습니다.
그 결과는 상당히 이상했습니다.
당시 제가 정리해 둔 수치는 다음과 같았습니다.
| Tube | μ | gm | rp |
|---|---|---|---|
| 6BQ6 | Triode 4.3 | 5500 | 782Ω |
| 6AV5 | Triode 4.3 | 5500 | 782Ω |
두 관의 수치가 같았습니다.
그래서 당시 저는 이렇게 생각했습니다.
“6BQ6와 6AV5는 사실상 동등관이라고 보아도 되지 않을까?”
그런데 비교 대상을 하나 더 추가해 보았습니다.
바로 2A3였습니다.
2A3의 대표적인 3정수를 함께 놓아 보니,
μ = 4.2
gm = 5250
rp ≈ 800Ω
놀랄 만큼 가까운 숫자였습니다.
물론 이것만으로 두 진공관이 같다고 말할 수는 없습니다.
6BQ6와 2A3은 구조도 다르고, 태어난 목적도 다릅니다.
하나는 빔관 계열의 TV 수평출력관이고, 다른 하나는 대표적인 직열 3극 출력관입니다.
그런데도 3극관으로 연결했을 때 나타나는 세 가지 숫자가 너무 비슷했습니다.
그때부터 궁금해지기 시작했습니다.
이것은 단순한 우연일까요?
그렇다면 실제로 같은 앰프에서 동작시켜 보면 어떨까?
숫자가 비슷하다고 해서 실제 앰프에서 같은 결과가 나오는 것은 아닙니다.
그래서 직접 확인해 보기로 했습니다.
2A3와 6BQ6의 3극 연결을 같은 회로에서 비교해 보기로 한 것입니다.
당시 만든 앰프는 위의 사진과 같이 스테레오 구성으로 되어 있었습니다.
왼쪽 채널에는 2A3.
오른쪽 채널에는 12BQ6 /12CU6 (6BQ6와 히터전압이 다른 동등관)를 3극 연결하여 사용했습니다.
즉,
한쪽은 진짜 2A3.
그리고 다른 한쪽은 TV 수평출력관을 3극관처럼 사용한 것이었습니다.
당시에는 단순한 실험이었습니다.
하지만 지금 생각해 보면 꽤 재미있는 실험이었습니다.
서로 전혀 다른 시대와 다른 목적을 가지고 만들어진 두 진공관을,
같은 회로와 같은 조건에서 직접 비교한 것이었기 때문입니다.
놀랍게도 동작점이 거의 같았습니다
당시 회로도와 각부의 전압, 전류를 측정해 기록해 두었습니다.
그리고 결과를 비교해 보니 출력관인 2A3와 12CU6(=6BQ6)의 동작점이 거의 같았습니다.
전압과 전류의 차이는 있었지만, 같은 메이커의 같은 형번 진공관이라도 이정도의 오차는 있습니다.
그때 남겨 둔 2017년 6월 26일의 기록에는 이렇게 적혀 있습니다.
“신기하게 2A3와 12CU6 3극연결의 동작점은 거의 차이가 없습니다. 출력도 거의 같습니다.”
당시에는 “거의”라는 표현을 사용했지만, 실제로 비교해 보면 그 차이는 매우 작았습니다.
계속해서 저는 이렇게 기록했습니다.
“진공관 오차라고 볼 정도로 차이가 작아서 같은 진공관이라고 보아도 될 정도입니다. 스테레오로 왼쪽은 2A3, 오른쪽은 12CU6 3극연결인데 음량 차이, 음질 차이 없고 완벽하게 한 가지 진공관으로 만든 것처럼 들립니다.”
그리고 마지막에는 이렇게 적었습니다.
“누가 말하지 않는다면 보지 않고는 두 진공관은 같은 진공관 같습니다.”
진공관들의 유사 관계를 알게 되었습니다.
처음 6BQ6를 발견했을 때만 해도 저는 이 진공관을 6V6과 비슷한 관이라고 생각했습니다.
실제로 6V6 앰프에 꽂아 보았고, 조금 더 출력이 좋은 6V6 정도로 생각했습니다.
그런데 이 진공관을 계속 들여다보면서 예상하지 못했던 연결고리들이 하나씩 나타났습니다.
먼저 6BQ6와 6AV5의 관계를 알게 되었습니다.
6BQ6 Triode μ = 4.3 gm = 5500, rp = 782Ω
6AV5 Triode μ = 4.3 gm = 5500, rp = 782Ω로 3극 연결의 증폭율 μ와 gm, rp가 동일함을 알 수 있고
6BQ6와 6AV5는 동등관이라고 봐도 상관없을 것같습니다.
그리고 6AV5를 더 찾아보면서 이번에는 6B4G와의 관계를 발견하게 되었습니다.
이와 관련해서 진공관 애호가들 사이에는 오래전부터 하나의 ‘도시전설(Urban Legend)’처럼 전해 내려오는 이야기가 있습니다. 아래에 인용하였는데 바쁘시면 스킵하여도 됩니다.
Urban Legend ? or Real ?
이 이야기의 주요 내용은 실바니아(Sylvania)가 6B4G가 단종된 이후, TV용 출력관인 6AV5를 내부적으로 3극관 형태로 구성하여 군용 계약용으로 납품했다는 이야기입니다.
놀라운 점은, 이 관들이 실제로 ‘6B4G’ 또는 ‘6B4GA’라는 형번이 그대로 인쇄된 상태로 존재한다는 것입니다. "Urban Legend" 라고 보기에 이상한 것이 오랜 시간을 걸쳐 많은 사람들이 이 실물을 발견하였다는 이야기들이 있습니다.
6B4G는 제가 알고 있던 관인데 2A3과 같은 세계에 있는 직열 3극 출력관입니다.
1930년대 후반, 진공관 라인업 규격이 옥탈(Octal) 베이스 기반 6.3V로 표준화되기 시작하면서 2A3의 베이스와 히터전압만을 바꾼 것이 6B4G였습니다.
결국
6AV5 triode = 6BQ6GTB triode ≒ 6B4G = 2A3
의 관계가 성립합니다.
이어진 의문들 ...
여기서 근본적인 질문에 진공관 History와 특성치 조사를 잠시 멈추었습니다.
“6BQ6는 도대체 어떻게 만들어진 관이지?”
처음에는 6V6과 비슷해서 6V6에서 파생된 관으로 추측했다가
6AV5를 알게 되었고 6B4G가 등장했습니다.
그리고 6BQ6 3극연결, 2A3를 각 채널별로 사용한 스트레오 싱글앰프를 자작해서 놀라울 정도로 두 진공관은 비슷하게 동작한다는 사실을 알게 되었습니다.
그리고 다시 이런 의문이 들게 되었습니다.
" 6BQ6와 2A3은 무슨 은밀한 관계가 있는 것이지? "
이것은 처음부터 제가 가지고 있었던 질문이 아니었습니다.
6BQ6를 하나씩 따라가다 보니 어느 순간 제 앞에 나타난 질문이었습니다.
그리고 저는 그 질문에 답을 찾기 위해 다시 진공관의 내부를 들여다보기 시작했습니다.
6BQ6와 2A3 — 우연이라고 하기에는 너무 닮았다
6B4G는 2A3의 히터전압 6.3V로 동등관이라고 볼 수 있습니다.
2A3의 3정수는 μ = 4.2, gm = 5,250umho, r = 800
6BQ6GTB/6CU6의 3극 연결시 μ = 4.3,
gm의 경우, 데이터시트상에는 3극연결시 gm은 제시하지 않습니다.
그렇지만 3극연결시 gm은 5극 연결시 gm 5500과 거의 비슷하거나 그 보다는 약간 작다고 합니다.
그래서 3극연결시 gm은 대충 5,300으로 잡아 볼 수 있습니다.
플레이트 내부저항인 Rp 는 μ = gm x Rp의 관계가 있으므로
Rp = 4.3/(5,300/1,000,000) =811 를 구할 수 있습니다.
그래서 다시 정리해 보면
6BQ6GTB/6CU6의 3극연결 μ = 4.3, gm = 5300 mho,Rp = 811 ohm
2A3의 3정수는 μ = 4.2, gm = 5250 mho, rp =800 ohm
진공관이 아주 정밀한 부품이 아니라 이 정도면 거의 동일하다고 말해도 됩니다.
그리고 6BQ6GTB와 동등관이라 할 정도로 유사한 6AV5를 유리관 내부에서 삼극연결하여 6B4G라는 형번을 달고 군용으로 납품했다는 사실은 6BQ6GTB와 6B4G의 관계가 단순한 우연의 일치만은 아닐지도 모른다는 생각을 하게 만듭니다.
영화 인터스텔라에서 블랙홀 속 5차원 공간을 통해 과거와 현재가 보이지 않는 끈으로 연결되었던 것처럼 6BQ6GTB와 6AV5를 따라가다 보면 결국 2A3라는 오래된 원형(Archetype)과 만나게 됩니다.
6BQ6GTB와 2A3 의 유사성은 우연이라기에는 너무 많은 특성치들이 서로 닮아 있습니다
마치 누군가 6BQ6GTB 안에 2A3의 특성 그대로를 몰래 숨겨놓은 듯합니다.
6BQ6GTB/6CU6는 왜 태어났을까?
6BQ6GTB의 앞에 있었던 진공관은 6BQ6GT 이지만 삼극 접속 시의 증폭률(μ)은 동일하게 4.3입니다. 그 이전으로 거슬러 올라가면 6BG6G와 807이 있습니다.
그러나 이들은 본질적으로 6L6을 TV용이나 송신용으로 변형한 관들로 그 본질은 크게 다르지 않았습니다. 높은 전압을 걸어 더 큰 출력을 얻을 수 있었지만 저전압에서 대전류를 얻는 구조는 아니었습니다.
시간을 되돌려 6BQ6GT가 개발되던 시절을 상상해 봅니다
1950년대 흑백 텔레비전의 수평 출력회로는 저전압 고전류의 관을 절실히 요구하고 있었습니다.
당시 TV는 내부 구조가 복잡했습니다. 전압이 높아질수록 전원 트랜스는 커지고 정류기와 관련 부품들도 같이 커졌기 때문에 좁은 공간에 부품배치가 어려웠고 원가도 상승했습니다.
따라서 가능한 한 낮은 전압에서 수평출력관이 강력한 출력을 내야 할 필요가 있었습니다.
또한 수평출력 코일은 강력한 자기장을 필요로 했습니다. 중요한 것은 자기장의 크기가 전압이 아니라 전류에 의해 결정된다는 점입니다. 더 큰 화면의 TV일수록 전자빔을 더 멀리 더 빠르게 움직여야 했고, 이를 위해서는 더욱 강력한 수평출력 코일의 자기장이 필요했습니다. 결국 엔지니어들이 원했던 것은 더 높은 전압이 아니라 더 큰 전류였습니다.
텔레비전 수요는 폭발적으로 증가하고 있었고 시장은 새로운 수평출력관 개발에 충분한 시간을 주지 않았습니다.
이러한 절박한 상황에서 엔지니어들은 어떻게 문제를 풀었을까요?
Zero Base에서 완전히 새로운 해답을 찾기보다는 이미 존재하는 기술 속에서 답을 찾으려 했을 것입니다.
"저전압 고전류" 이 두 단어를 들었을 때, 당시 엔지니어라면 무엇을 떠올렸을까요?
제 생각에는 2A3를 떠올릴 수밖에 없었을 것 같습니다. 2A3는 이미 저전압에서 큰 전류를 다루는 대표적인 출력관으로 널리 알려져 있었고 당시에는 삼극관과 빔관이 공존하며 서로 발전하던 시기였습니다.
특히 저전압 대전류라는 영역만 놓고 본다면 오히려 삼극관은 그 시대의 최첨단 기술이었다고 생각합니다.
물론 저는 1950년대 RCA나 GE의 연구실에 있었던 것이 아닙니다.
따라서 이것은 어디까지나 하나의 가설입니다.
그러나 당시 엔지니어들이 직면한 문제가 "저전압 고전류"였고 그 분야에서 가장 성공적인 출력관이 2A3와 6B4G였다는 사실을 생각하면, 6BQ6GT의 개발자가 2A3나 6B4G를 전혀 의식하지 않았다고 보는 것이 오히려 더 어렵게 느껴집니다.
DNA의 유전이 아니라 지식의 유전
그렇다고 엔지니어들이 2A3의 내부 구조를 그대로 참조하여 6BQ6GT를 만들었다고는 생각하지 않습니다. 오히려 제가 말하고 싶은 것은 2A3의 설계 철학입니다.
예를 들어 더 큰 전류를 얻기 위해서는 캐소드의 열전자 방출 능력이 중요하다는 것, 플레이트는 충분한 면적과 방열 능력을 가져야 한다는 것. 그리고 좋은 출력관이 되기 위위해서는 u와 gm, Rp가 어떤 범위에 있어야 하는지에 대한 경험과 노하우에 대한 것입니다.
2A3는 당시 이미 그러한 문제들에 대한 하나의 성공적인 해답을 제시하고 있었습니다.
따라서 6BQ6GT의 개발자가 2A3의 전극 구조를 그대로 따라 했다고 보기보다는 2A3가 보여주었던 저전압 대전류 출력관의 이상적인 특성을 알고 있었고 이를 빔관이라는 전혀 다른 방법으로 구현하고자 했다고 보는 편이 더 자연스럽게 느껴집니다.
결국 제가 이야기하고 싶은 것은
DNA의 유전이 아니라 엔지니어링 지식의 유전입니다.
2A3의 캐소드가 6BQ6의 캐소드가 되었다는 뜻이 아니라, 2A3를 통해 얻어진 엔지니어들의 경험과 통찰이 새로운 출력관 설계 속에 녹아들었다는 뜻입니다.
저는 6BQ6GTB 데이터시트에 적혀 있는 삼극 접속 시 μ = 4.3 이라는 숫자를 볼 때마다 그런 생각을 하게 됩니다.
그 숫자는 단순한 참고 수치가 아니라, 마치 설계자가 후대의 누군가에게 남겨 놓은 작은 단서처럼 느껴집니다.
Intertubellar -To A Triode
지금까지 제가 경험한 것들과
인터넷을 통해 찾아본 여러 정황들은
진공관들 속에 숨겨진 비밀의 끈이 결국 2A3로 이어지고 있는 것은 아닐까
하는 생각을 하게 만들었습니다.
300B와 6B4G는 물론이고, 6BQ6GTB와 6AV5, 심지어 6550과 KT88까지도 서로 전혀 다른 목적으로 태어났음에도 불구하고 삼극관의 본질로 돌아가면 어딘가 2A3가 보여주었던 영역과 닮아 있습니다.
물론 이것은 역사적 사실로 증명된 것은 아닙니다.
그러나 우연이라고 보기에는 너무 많은 것들이 서로 닮아 있습니다. 그래서 저는 이러한 보이지 않는 연결을 생각하며 하나의 이름을 붙여 보았습니다.
Intertubellar -To A Triode
영화 인터스텔라(Interstellar)의 이야기 속에는, 블랙홀 안에 숨겨진 5차원 공간과 시간을 초월하여 이어지는 중력의 "끈"이 존재합니다. 겉으로는 서로 단절되어 보이지만, 사실은 하나의 보이지 않는 힘으로 연결되어 있다는 이야기입니다.
저에게도 진공관은 그렇게 보입니다.
2A3와 300B, 6BQ6GTB와 6AV5, 6550과 KT88은 서로 아무 관계가 없는 것처럼 보입니다.
그러나 깊숙이 들여다보면 모무 같은 방향을 향해 진화하고 있는 것은 아닐까요?
저전압, 대전류, 적절한 u, 충분한 gm, 낮은 내부저항.
마치 영화 속 중력의 끈이 과거와 현재를 연결하듯, 진공관들 속에도 보이지 않는 하나의 끈이 존재하는 것 같습니다.
"좋은 출력관이 갖추어야 할 조건들은
시대와 목적을 초월하여
반복해서 나타납니다."
Intertubellar — To A Triode
I have always enjoyed exploring vacuum tubes that are not particularly well known.
The famous tubes have already been studied by countless people, and there are endless schematics and articles about them. But when I come across a tube whose name is unfamiliar even to me, it somehow makes me even more curious.
And when I discover characteristics that I did not expect, it is an exciting experience. It makes all the searching and digging worthwhile.
A Strange Tube I Happened to Meet
In 2016, while I was searching through vacuum tubes and going over datasheets as usual, I happened to come across a tube called the 6CU6 / 6BQ6GTB.
The moment I looked at its datasheet, several numbers immediately caught my attention.
In particular:
6CU6 / 6BQ6GTB
- Pd: 17 W
- Plate Voltage: 250 V
- Grid No.1: −22.5 V
- Plate Current: 57 mA
- gm: 5900 μmhos
- Rp: 22 kΩ
I compared these figures with some other output tubes I already knew.
6V6
- Pd: 12 W
- Plate Voltage: 250 V
- Grid No.1: −12.5 V
- Plate Current: 45 mA
- gm: 4100 μmhos
- Rp: 52 kΩ
And:
6L6
- Pd: 30 W
- Plate Voltage: 250 V
- Grid No.1: −14 V
- Plate Current: 72 mA
- gm: 6000 μmhos
- Rp: 22 kΩ
When I compared them this way, the 6CU6 / 6BQ6GTB occupied a rather interesting position.
It was more powerful than the 6V6, but it was not as large and heavy-duty as the 6L6.
At the time, I thought:
“Could this be a tube that is close to the 6V6, but capable of producing a little more power?”
So I bought several of them.
And I decided to try the simplest possible experiment.
I simply plugged one into a 6V6 single-ended amplifier.
I Simply Plugged It In
The 6BQ6GTB had a pin arrangement that was quite similar to the 6V6.
There was, however, one important difference.
The plate connection came out through a top cap.
So I connected the top plate cap to pin 3 with a wire.
Looking back, it was a very simple experiment.
But at the time, I was simply curious about how it would sound.
In the notes I had written back then, I recorded:
“Since it has some similarities to the 6V6, I plugged it into a 6V6 single-ended amplifier. The pin numbers are the same, but the plate is brought out to the top, so I connected it directly to pin 3 with a wire. Compared with the 6V6, the high frequencies sounded considerably better.”
At that point, I had no idea that this tube would eventually lead me into such a long story.
I simply thought I had discovered a somewhat unusual TV tube.
But as time passed, I began looking more closely at it.
And then, in a record I had made in 2017, I found something interesting.
Some Strange Numbers
At the time, I was comparing the characteristics of various vacuum tubes.
During that process, I compared the triode-connected characteristics of the 6BQ6 and the 6AV5.
The result was rather strange.
These were the figures I had recorded:
| Tube | μ | gm | rp |
|---|---|---|---|
| 6BQ6 | 4.3 | 5500 μmhos | 782 Ω |
| 6AV5 | 4.3 | 5500 μmhos | 782 Ω |
The numbers were identical.
So at the time I wondered:
“Could the 6BQ6 and 6AV5 essentially be considered equivalent tubes?”
But then I added one more tube to the comparison.
It was the 2A3.
The representative three constants of the 2A3 were:
μ = 4.2
gm = 5250 μmhos
rp ≈ 800 Ω
The numbers were surprisingly close.
Of course, this alone does not mean that the two tubes are identical.
The 6BQ6 and the 2A3 have completely different structures and were born for completely different purposes.
One is a beam-power TV horizontal-output tube, while the other is one of the most famous directly heated triode output tubes.
And yet, when connected as triodes, the three fundamental parameters were remarkably similar.
That was when I began to wonder:
“Could this really be just a coincidence?”
Then Why Not Run Them in the Same Amplifier?
Similar numbers do not necessarily mean that two tubes will behave the same way in a real amplifier.
So I decided to find out for myself.
I would compare the 2A3 and the 6BQ6 connected as triodes in the same circuit.
The amplifier I built at the time was configured for stereo, as shown in the photographs.
The left channel used a 2A3.
The right channel used a 12BQ6 / 12CU6, an equivalent tube to the 6BQ6 with a different heater voltage, connected as a triode.
In other words:
One side was a genuine 2A3.
And the other side was a TV horizontal-output tube being used as a triode.
At the time, it was simply an experiment.
But looking back, it was quite an interesting experiment.
I was directly comparing two tubes that had been created for completely different purposes and in completely different worlds,
using the same circuit and under the same conditions.
Surprisingly, the Operating Points Were Almost Identical
I had recorded the circuit diagram together with the measured voltages and currents at various points.
When I compared the results, the operating points of the 2A3 and 12CU6 (= 6BQ6) were almost identical.
There were some differences in voltage and current, but even tubes of the same type from the same manufacturer can show variations of this magnitude.
In my notes dated June 26, 2017, I wrote:
“Interestingly, there is almost no difference in the operating points of the 2A3 and the 12CU6 connected as a triode. The output is also almost the same.”
At the time, I used the word “almost.”
But when I actually compared them, the difference was remarkably small.
I continued:
“The difference was so small that it could be considered normal tube-to-tube variation, to the point where they could almost be regarded as the same tube. In stereo, the 2A3 was used on the left and the 12CU6 connected as a triode on the right. There was no difference in volume or sound quality. They sounded as if the entire amplifier had been built with the same type of tube.”
And finally I wrote:
“If nobody told you what was inside, you would never know the difference. They sounded like the same tube.”
The Unexpected Connections Between These Tubes
When I first discovered the 6BQ6, I thought it was simply a tube somewhat similar to the 6V6.
I actually plugged it into a 6V6 amplifier and thought of it as a slightly more powerful version of the 6V6.
But as I continued looking into the tube, unexpected connections began to appear one after another.
First, I discovered the relationship between the 6BQ6 and the 6AV5.
6BQ6
Triode μ = 4.3, gm = 5500, rp = 782 Ω
6AV5
Triode μ = 4.3, gm = 5500, rp = 782 Ω
Their triode-connected μ, gm, and rp appeared to be identical.
At that point, it seemed reasonable to regard the 6BQ6 and 6AV5 as essentially equivalent tubes.
But then, while looking further into the 6AV5, I discovered something even more intriguing.
The 6B4G.
Among vacuum-tube enthusiasts, there has long been a story surrounding this tube, almost like an “Urban Legend.”
I have included the original account below. If you are in a hurry, feel free to skip it.
Urban Legend? Or Real?
Articles — Tube Testing — 6AV5 Sweep Tube
TubeLab — 6AV5 Sweep Tube
Note: Since I did these experiments, and posted the results on the forums, I have actually SEEN and TOUCHED the "urban legend". The tubes DO exist. The one I saw was a Sylvania. It was clearly marked 6B4GA, and it looked IDENTICAL in construction to the Sylvania 6AV5's that I have. The owner said he also has some of these tubes that are Philips branded. He said that Angela Instruments was selling them. If the rest of the story is true, and Sylvania (or Philips) really sold 6AV5's as 6B4's, does this mean that the tubes are identical? NO! This means that the tubes were similar enough to be interchangeable IN THE ORIGINAL APPLICATION. There is no way that the two can ever be identical. In my listening tests there were obvious differences between the two in sound. The 6AV5 had far better bass, better dynamics, and was capable of far more power. The 6AV5 had a lower plate resistance, and was capable of passing a lot more peak current than any similar sized DHT.
Another Tubelab page says:
Designs — Tubelab SPP — Tubes and Applications
TubeLab — Tubes and Applications
The most odd example of this were the tubes labeled 6B4G or 6B4GA (a DHT) that contained 6AV5GA guts (a TV sweep tube).
And another discussion states:
A Decade Too Late, and a Dollar Short — 6AV5GA
The 6AV5, when triode wired, closely resembles the 6B4G DHT. Sylvania did that trioding (internally) to fulfill a military contract. Overall, the triode wired sweep tube might not be as "sweet" as a genuine DHT, but hum will not bite your bottom.
The basic story is that after the 6B4G was discontinued, Sylvania reportedly configured the 6AV5 internally as a triode and supplied it for a military contract.
What makes the story particularly fascinating is that some of these tubes were reportedly actually marked “6B4G” or “6B4GA.”
And the strange thing is that, according to various accounts, actual examples of these tubes have been found by more than one person over the years.
6B4G — A Familiar Name
The 6B4G was already familiar to me.
It belongs to the same world as the 2A3 — a directly heated triode output tube.
The 6B4G can essentially be regarded as an octal-based version of the 2A3, with a 6.3 V heater and a different base arrangement.
So now the chain looked like this:
6AV5 triode = 6BQ6GTB triode ≒ 6B4G = 2A3
And that was the point where the story became much more interesting.
More Questions Began to Appear...
At this point, I stopped for a moment and put aside the vacuum-tube history and characteristic data.
A more fundamental question had appeared.
“How was the 6BQ6 actually designed?”
At first, because it looked similar to the 6V6, I assumed that it might have been derived from the 6V6.
Then I discovered the 6AV5.
And then the 6B4G appeared.
I had also built a stereo single-ended amplifier using a 6BQ6 connected as a triode on one channel and a 2A3 on the other, and I had found that the two tubes behaved remarkably similarly.
And so another question emerged:
“What secret relationship exists between the 6BQ6 and the 2A3?”
This was not a question I had started with.
It appeared naturally as I followed the trail of the 6BQ6.
And to find the answer, I began looking inside the history of the tube once again.
6BQ6 and 2A3 — Too Similar to Be a Coincidence
The 6B4G can be regarded as an equivalent of the 2A3 in terms of its 6.3 V heater.
The three constants of the 2A3 are approximately:
μ = 4.2
gm = 5250 μmhos
rp = 800 Ω
For the 6BQ6GTB / 6CU6 connected as a triode, μ = 4.3.
The datasheet does not provide gm for the 6BQ6 in triode connection.
However, the triode-connected gm is generally considered to be close to, or slightly lower than, its pentode-connected value of approximately 5500 μmhos.
So we can roughly estimate the triode-connected gm at about 5300 μmhos.
Using the relationship:
μ = gm × Rp
we can estimate the plate resistance:
Rp = 4.3 / (5300 / 1,000,000) ≈ 811 Ω
So, approximately:
6BQ6GTB / 6CU6, triode-connected
- μ = 4.3
- gm ≈ 5300 μmhos
- Rp ≈ 811 Ω
while:
2A3
- μ = 4.2
- gm = 5250 μmhos
- rp ≈ 800 Ω
Vacuum tubes are not precision components, so these numbers are remarkably close.
For comparison, when other pentodes or beam tubes are connected as triodes, their characteristics may resemble those of famous triodes to some degree.
But I found it difficult to find another example whose similarity to the 2A3 / 6B4G was as striking as that of the 6BQ6GTB / 6CU6.
And there is another intriguing fact.
The 6AV5, which appears to be extremely similar to the 6BQ6GTB, was reportedly internally triode-connected and marked 6B4G for military supply.
This makes me wonder whether the relationship between the 6BQ6GTB and the 6B4G was really nothing more than coincidence.
Like Interstellar
In the movie Interstellar, the past and the present are connected through an invisible thread across a fifth-dimensional space inside a black hole.
Following the trail of the 6BQ6GTB and 6AV5, I eventually found myself face-to-face with an old archetype:
the 2A3.
The similarities between the 6BQ6GTB and the 2A3 are too numerous to dismiss as simple coincidence.
It almost feels as though someone had secretly hidden the characteristics of the 2A3 inside the 6BQ6GTB.
Why Was the 6BQ6GT / 6CU6 Born?
Before the 6BQ6GTB came the 6BQ6GT, whose triode-connected amplification factor, μ, was also 4.3.
Going further back, we encounter the 6BG6G and 807.
But essentially, these were variations of the 6L6 designed for television or transmitter applications.
They could operate at higher voltages and produce greater power, but they were not designed around the low-voltage, high-current region that interests us here.
So let us turn the clock back to the period when the 6BQ6GT was being developed.
In the black-and-white television era of the 1950s, TV horizontal-output circuits urgently needed tubes capable of handling high current at relatively low voltage.
Television sets had complex internal structures.
As voltage increased, the power transformer became larger, and the rectifier and associated components also had to become larger.
This made component placement more difficult in the limited space available and increased cost.
Therefore, the horizontal-output tube needed to produce substantial power while operating at relatively low voltage.
There was another important factor.
The horizontal deflection coil needed to generate a strong magnetic field.
And the strength of a magnetic field is determined not by voltage, but by current.
The larger the television screen, the farther and faster the electron beam had to be moved.
That required a stronger magnetic field from the horizontal deflection coil.
Ultimately, what the engineers wanted was not simply higher voltage.
They wanted more current.
The demand for television was exploding, and the market did not give engineers unlimited time to develop entirely new solutions.
So how might they have approached the problem?
Rather than starting completely from scratch, they would naturally have looked for answers within technologies that already existed.
When faced with two words —
“low voltage, high current”
— what might an engineer of that era have thought of?
In my view, it would have been difficult not to think of the 2A3.
The 2A3 was already widely known as a successful output tube capable of handling substantial current at relatively low voltage.
And at that time, triodes and beam tubes existed side by side, each influencing the development of the other.
If we focus specifically on the low-voltage, high-current region, the triode may actually have represented one of the most advanced solutions available at the time.
Of course, I was not sitting in an RCA or GE laboratory in the 1950s.
So this remains a hypothesis.
But considering that the engineers' problem was “low voltage, high current,” and that the 2A3 and 6B4G were among the successful output tubes in that region, it is difficult for me to believe that the designers of the 6BQ6GT were completely unaware of them.
Not the Inheritance of DNA, but the Inheritance of Knowledge
I do not mean that the engineers simply copied the internal structure of the 2A3 and built the 6BQ6GT from it.
What I am suggesting is something more subtle:
the inheritance of the engineering philosophy behind the 2A3.
For example, the ability of the cathode to emit sufficient thermionic electrons in order to obtain higher current.
The need for sufficient plate area and heat-dissipation capability.
And the accumulated experience of knowing what range of μ, gm, and Rp would make an effective output tube.
The 2A3 had already provided one successful answer to these problems.
Therefore, rather than saying that the designers of the 6BQ6GT simply copied the electrode structure of the 2A3, I think it is more natural to imagine that they knew the ideal characteristics demonstrated by the 2A3 as a low-voltage, high-current output tube and sought to reproduce those characteristics through an entirely different structure:
the beam tube.
In the end, this is what I am trying to say.
It is not the inheritance of DNA.
It is the inheritance of engineering knowledge.
The cathode of the 2A3 did not literally become the cathode of the 6BQ6.
Rather, the experience and insight that engineers had gained through tubes such as the 2A3 became embedded in the design of a new generation of output tubes.
Whenever I see the number μ = 4.3 listed for the 6BQ6GTB in triode connection, I find myself thinking about this.
It feels less like an ordinary reference value and more like a small clue left behind by the designer for someone in the future to discover.
Intertubellar — To A Triode
Everything I have experienced,
together with the various clues I have found on the Internet,
has led me to wonder whether there might be a hidden thread inside these vacuum tubes that ultimately leads back to the 2A3.
The 300B and 6B4G, the 6BQ6GTB and 6AV5, and even the 6550 and KT88 were all created for very different purposes.
And yet, when we look deeply into their triode characteristics, they sometimes seem to converge toward the same fundamental territory once occupied by the 2A3.
Of course, this has not been historically proven.
But there are simply too many similarities to ignore completely.
So, thinking about this invisible connection, I gave it a name.
Intertubellar — To A Triode
In the movie Interstellar, there is a fifth-dimensional space hidden inside a black hole, where an invisible gravitational “thread” connects different points in time.
Things that appear to be separated are, in fact, connected by an invisible force.
That is how vacuum tubes look to me.
2A3 and 300B,
6BQ6GTB and 6AV5,
6550 and KT88
may appear to have nothing to do with one another.
But when we look deeper, perhaps they were all evolving toward something similar.
Low voltage.
High current.
Appropriate μ.
Sufficient gm.
Low plate resistance.
Just as the gravitational thread in Interstellar connects the past and the present, perhaps there is also an invisible thread running through the history of vacuum tubes.
And I think the name of that thread is:
“To A Triode”
In other words,
“2 A 3”
“The qualities that make a good output tube
appear again and again,
across different eras and different purposes.”
댓글
댓글 쓰기